President Trump took to Twitter late Monday to announce that “numerous people were arrested” in Washington, D.C., as protesters attempted to tear down a statue of Andrew Jackson in Lafayette Square Park and—once again—targeted the nearby St. John’s Episcopal Church.
“Numerous people arrested in D.C. for the disgraceful vandalism, in Lafayette Park, of the magnificent Statue of Andrew Jackson, in addition to the exterior defacing of St. John’s Church across the street,” Trump tweeted. “10 years in prison under the Veteran’s Memorial Preservation Act. Beware!”
Numerous people arrested in D.C. for the disgraceful vandalism, in Lafayette Park, of the magnificent Statue of Andrew Jackson, in addition to the exterior defacing of St. John’s Church across the street. 10 years in prison under the Veteran’s Memorial Preservation Act. Beware!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 23, 2020
David L. Bernhardt, the secretary of the Interior Department, said he visited Lafayette Square and witnessed the destruction. He said the country “will not bow to anarchists. Law and order will prevail, and justice will be served.”
The full extent of the damage is not yet clear. The Lincoln Memorial and WWII Memorial had been defaced in earlier protests, and on Monday night, the Jackson statue was also defaced. Reuters reported that “killer scum” was written on the pedestal. Ropes were tied to the statue in an effort to topple it, but the statement said “law enforcement officers ensured that this would not happen.” Protesters broke down a fence that was surrounding the statue just after dusk, Reuters reported. The statement said surrounding cannons in the statue were destroyed.
Social media posts from journalists in the area report that protesters are setting up camp near Lafayette Park in a similar fashion to Seattle’s CHOP. Fox 5 DC reported that protesters spraypainted “BHAZ” on the columns of St. John’s Church, which was apparently a reference to a “Black Autonomous Zone.” The news station reported that U.S. Park Police and city police managed to close the area off to protesters. Reuters reported that these officers swung their batons in the effort.
NBC Washington reported that as of 10:30 p.m. local time, protesters were standing at the border of the park. Police said some officers were injured during these confrontations and some protesters threw unknown objects at these officers, police said. The report said that two people were arrested.
— Ken Duffy (@KenDuffyNews) June 23, 2020
Police used a chemical irritant to disperse the crowd and officers were hit with objects. Fox News has confirmed that the U.S. Secret Service asked reporters to leave the White House grounds nearby. The specific reason wasn’t clear.
A spokesperson from secret service said “four members of the media were misdirected by the Secret Service to leave the White House grounds. The members of the press were rerouted to exits on the south side of the complex for their own safety.”
- ANTIFA Fascists Planning Nationwide July 4TH Civil Disruption Events Across The Country
- Priyamvada Gopal: Change.org Defends ‘White Lives Don’t Matter’ Professor
- Rinos: Former George W. Bush officials form new group to back Biden
- When’s the earliest you could get another stimulus check? How the timing could shake out
- BREAKING: Black Lives Matter upgrades Rules of Engagement to “shoot people in vehicles” — protester shoots unarmed elderly man in a vehicle; CHAZ “security” opens fire on black teens in Seattle
- Biden Says He Will Reverse Trump’s Tax Cuts
- Tim Scott blasts ‘liberal Democrats’ for sending him racist messages: ‘Audacious, repugnant behavior’
- Texas hospital starves quadriplegic COVID-19 patient to death against wife’s protests
- BREAKING: Thousands of guillotines pre-positioned across America for left-wing terrorists to execute conservatives, Christians and Whites in the unfolding CIVIL WAR
- Obama: Protests are ‘Tailor-Made’ to Help Biden’s Election Chances Says Report
- Fox TV network Is Broadcasting An Anti-American Message Of Hate On July 4th By Nation Of Islam Cult Leader Louis Farrakhan?
- Dumbed Down: 8th Grade Exam From 1912 Shows How Much Education Has slipped
- In Michigan, House Passes Bill To ‘Voluntarily’ Begin Placing Human Implantable Microchips Into The Bodies Of All State Government Employees
- Twitch has suspended Donald Trump’s account
- Idaho Becomes 12th State on California’s List of Prohibited Places for Government-Funded Travel
- National Anthem: Radical Left Now Demanding That ‘The Star Spangled Banner’ Be Rewritten Saying ‘It’s Time To Just Throw It Away’
- Saharan dust cloud, Godzilla storm, arrives in US: photos
- Hispanic YouTuber Posts Disturbing Video Saying “We Need To Kill White People”
- Democrats Want John Wayne’s Name, Statue Taken off Airport
- Facebook As Company Agrees To Begin Blocking Conservative And Christian Articles And Videos In Massive Purge
Jackson, who has faced ire in the present day for his severe treatment of Native Americans, was the latest historical figure targeted by protesters demanding monuments and memorials to those with racist pasts be taken down.
Earlier this month, Trump clashed with D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser over deploying federal forces in the city in order to protect government assets during unrest in the wake of George Floyd’s death in police custody.
When things calmed down, Trump took to Twitter to write that the troops were headed home “but can quickly return, if needed. Far fewer protesters showed up last night than anticipated!”
Be sure to check out the redesigned home page! All the news in one spot!